top of page


U.S. citizens renewing, replacing or applying for a new driver license or ID card in person must submit the following documents before a REAL-ID compliant driver license or ID card can be issued. Please note that the name assigned to the Social Security Number (SSN) must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or ID card. Customers who have recently changed their name should update their records with the Social Security Administration before applying for a driver license or ID card.

1. Primary Identification

An original of one of the following documents with complete name:

  • U.S. birth certificate, including some U.S. territories and District of Columbia (birth certificates from Puerto Rico must have an issue date after July 1, 2010);

  • Valid U.S. passport or passport card;

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad;

  • Certificate of Naturalization, form N-550 or form N-570; or

  • Certificate of Citizenship, form N-560 or form N-561.


  • Only a birth certificate issued by a county health department or the CDC Bureau of Vital Statistics will be accepted. Hospital birth certificates are not considered a certified document and will not be accepted.

  • Please come prepared to present one of the above listed identification documents as proof of citizenship or legal presence.

  • When applicable, marriage certificates, court orders or divorce decrees must be provided to link the name on the primary identification to the name on the driver license or ID card.

  • If a valid U.S. passport has the customer’s current name, they are not required to present additional name change documents.

2. Proof of Social Security

An original of one of the following documents with complete name and complete SSN:

  • Social Security card (with the customer’s current name);

  • W-2 form (not handwritten);

  • Pay check/stub;

  • SSA-1099; or

  • Any 1099 (not handwritten).

Customers without an SSN can find assistance on our What To Bring FAQ page.

3. Proof of Residential Address

Customers may not use their current driver license or ID card as proof of residential address. Customers must submit TWO different documents with their residential address (printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable). Residential address documents include, but are not limited to:

  • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement;

  • Florida voter registration card;

  • Florida vehicle registration or title (print a duplicate registration at MyDMV Portal);

  • Utility bill;

  • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days prior to the application;

  • Automobile payment booklet;

  • Selective service card;

  • Medical or health card with address listed;

  • Current homeowner insurance policy or bill;

  • Current automobile insurance policy or bill;

  • Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year;

  • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.;

  • W-2 form or 1099 form;

  • Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status;

  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider or a half-way house verifying they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by a Certification of Address form;

  • Mail from financial institutions including checking, savings or investment account statements;

  • Mail from federal, state, county or city government agencies; or

  • FDLE registration form completed by local sheriff’s department.

Customers who do not have any of the above documents in their name may provide two proofs of residential address from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom they reside and a Certification of Address form.

In accordance with the REAL ID Act, customers are not required to present these documents for subsequent renewals unless their information changes (e.g., name, address).

Name Changes

Customers who have legally changed their name by marriage, divorce or court order must submit the original or a certified marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order. Photocopies are not accepted. Marriage certificates must be recognized by the state of Florida. Generally, marriage certificates issued in Florida or another state in accordance with the respective laws of those states are recognized by the State of Florida. Church-issued marriage certificates are not accepted.

Note: Please allow 24 to 48 hours after changing your name with Social Security Administration before applying to change it with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Your name must verify with the Social Security electronic system to obtain a Florida driver license or identification card.

Certified copies of marriage certificates or divorce decrees may be obtained at the clerk of court in the county where it was originally filed.

Driving Lessons Drivers License Exam
Driving Lessons Drivers License Exam EZ License


bottom of page