top of page


Non-immigrants renewing, replacing or applying for a new driver license or ID card in person must submit the following documents before a REAL-ID compliant driver license or ID card can be issued. Please note that the name assigned to the Social Security Number (SSN) must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or ID card. Customers who have recently changed their name should update their records with the Social Security Administration before applying for a driver license or ID card.

1. Primary Identification

An original of one of the following documents with complete name:

  • Valid employment authorization card issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) form I-688B or I-766;

  • Non-expired proof of non-immigrant classification provided by DHS form I-94 with required supporting attachment(s). If a customer is unsure of the required documentation, they should bring all United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation with them.
    I-94s must be accompanied by a valid passport with a date of entry stamp. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:


    • F-1 and M-1 classification must be accompanied by an I-20;

    • J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by a DS2019;

    • Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation;

  • I-571 travel document/refugee travel permit;

  • I-512 parole letter accepted; or

  • Immigration judge’s order granting asylum or cancellation of removal.


  • Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.

  • Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 60-day temporary paper permit without a photo and a receipt. Non-U.S. citizens applying for an ID card will be issued a receipt. Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or ID card will be issued within 60 days and mailed to the address on the driver record. The driver license or ID card will be issued for the period of time specified on the USCIS document, up to a maximum of four years.

  • If lawful status or identification is not verified, a denial of issuance letter will be mailed to the customer.

2. Proof of Social Security

An original of one of the following documents with complete name and complete SSN:

  • Social Security card (with customer’s current name);

  • W-2 form (not handwritten);

  • Pay check/stub;

  • SSA-1099; or

  • Any 1099 (not handwritten).

Customers without an SSN can find assistance on our What To Bring FAQ page.

3. Proofs of Residential Address

Customers may not use their current driver license or ID card as proof of residential address. Customers must submit TWO different documents with their residential address (printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable). Residential address documents include, but are not limited to:

  • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement;

  • Florida voter registration card;

  • Florida vehicle registration or title (print a duplicate registration at MyDMV Portal)

  • Utility bill;

  • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application;

  • Automobile payment booklet;

  • Selective service card;

  • Medical or health card with address listed;

  • Current homeowner insurance policy or bill;

  • Current automobile insurance policy or bill;

  • Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year;

  • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.;

  • W-2 form or 1099 form;

  • Form DS2019, certificate of eligibility for exchange visitor (J-1) status;

  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider or a half-way house verifying they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by a Certification of Address form;

  • Mail from financial institutions including checking, savings or investment account statements;

  • Mail from federal, state, county or city government agencies; or

  • FDLE registration form completed by local sheriff department.

Customers who do not have the above documents in their name may provide two proofs of residential address from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom they reside and a Certification of Address form.

Customers who have legally changed their name by marriage, divorce or court order must have their name changed on their USCIS documents.

Non-immigrants in the country without a work visa are not required to obtain a letter from the Social Security Administration stating that they were never issued an SSN (also known as an SSA refusal letter).

Driving Lessons Drivers License Exam
Driving Lessons Drivers License Exam EZ License


bottom of page